CANARIO (EDA Cat. B)
Project acronym: CANARIO
Project full title: Chemical warfare Agent aNAlizer based on low cost dual band IR mIcrOsytems
Funding: The project is financially supported by the European Defence Agency - EDA
Area: Smart Sensors
- Detection and identification of Chemical Agents.
- Developing a compact unattended point sensor for providing early warning in the presence of Chemical Agents in the air.
- Role of CREO
- System integration, development of the multispectral LWIR sensor.
- Sensing solution / Technology
- Non Dispersive Infra Red Absorption spectroscopy in the gas phase with 46 spectral channels. A gas cell with an optical path of 2 m is used to couple a MEMS thermal emitter to an hybrid detection device.The latter integrates uncooled PbSE photoconductive detectors for the MWIR, microbolometers for the LWIR, optical filters, and front-end electronics on silicon chip
A protoype of the size of a shoebox was succesfully tested at the CETLI facilities of the Italian MoD. A variety of CWA precursors, simulants and potential interferents were all correctly identied at few ppm concentration with response time of few seconds.
- C. Corsi, A. Dundee, P. Laurenzi, N. Liberatore, D. Luciani, S. Mengali, A. Mercuri, A. Pifferi, M. Simeoni, G. Tosone, R. Viola, and D. Zintu, Chemical Warfare Agents Analyzer Based on Low Cost, Room Temperature, and Infrared Microbolometer Smart Sensors – Advances in Optical Technologies 2012 (2012) Article ID 808541, 5 (doi:10.1155/2012/808541) [HTML-Pdf]
BACK TO ARCHIVE